Wednesday, September 26

Week 17


The increasing scarlet and yellow tints around the meadows and the river remind me of the opening of a vast flower-bud; they are the petals of its corolla, which is of the width of the valleys. It is the flower of autumn, whose expanding bud just begins to blush. 

Henry David Thoreau          September 26, 1852

Got a bit nippy one morning this week, so I broke down and provided the fire worshipers in the family their first flash of flame for the season.  Soon that will become a daily habit.

In the meantime, a crop seeded all the way back in late July is finally being harvested: Napa cabbage
Here's a simple, quick and delicious way(I made it twice this week!) to prepare as a side dish or for lunch: Roasted Napa cabbage

The cabbage heads grew so beautifully I've kept some of the outer leaves on many of the heads--use them too.  If you're intimidated by the cabbage, you may choose Red Russian Kale instead...

Also in the share this week: golden beets, chiogga beets, or turnips; pea shoots; tangy mix of microgreens; salad mix; beautiful Bubblegum Chard (my first time growing this) or spinach; and  apples.  Take more garlic for a bonus, if you'd like.

I've been battling chipmunks for the apples--I've trapped 5 this week (re-located to a lovely 100 acre estate)--but they just keep coming.  On CSA day, there should be enough traffic to deter them, but if you see any gnawed apples, well, you know what happened.  I'm now keeping the apples in the double fridge during the week...

Hans brought more pork by earlier in the week, and it's been going fast.  Should still be some left tomorrow.

I picked the last of the peppers today...we'll be prepping that area for the garlic we will plant in mid-October.

The winter squashes are curing, and will be showing up in following weeks.

I'm closing the Garden gates at 7:00 p.m. now.  It's fully dark, and I need to keep the deer out.  If you can't make it by 7, please feel free to come Friday or Saturday...just let me know.

Thanks!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment