Wednesday, October 17

Fall Week 2


The first frost of the season came right on time this year, but it was an especially harsh one, a shade under 27 degrees.  Everything still in the ground came through beautifully, so we live to feed you another week!  The dahlias weren't so lucky.

In this week's share:

2 Delicata or 1 Kabocha squash; scroll down the blog--I've got recipes for each somewhere...they are both fantastic squashes, and these are my last of these squashes for the year.  I've got acorn, butternut, and buttercup coming next.

1 Napa cabbage...my last for the CSA this year...will have a few more at the stand over the next couple of weeks...This cabbage is wonderful, and I hope you agree.  It is versatile and tasty, and we use it 2 or 3 times each week.  I recently bought "The Art of Fermentation", and this cabbage will soon become my first fermented sauerkraut!

Arugula or Beets...frost does magical things to many greens, and arugula is no exception...I find a bit of smokiness in the post-frost flavor.

Salad mix--great fall crop, should have it through the entire fall share. 

1 1/2 pounds potatoes

4 white onions

4 apples (Macoun, Cortland, Golden Delicious, Fuji, Empire) or pears (Bosc).

No comments:

Post a Comment